Ginger tea recipe
Recipe type: Drinks
warm, spiced tea made with ginger and cardamom.
- 4 cups water
- 3-4 black tea bags or 3-4 tsp black tea leaves
- 2 inch ginger for a strong taste or 1 inch ginger for a milder taste, peeled & either crushed or grated.
- 3-4 cardamom, crushed or powdered in a mortar-pestle(optional)
- ½ to ¾ cup regular milk or cashew milk or soy milk - add more if you want a milky tea
- 8 tsp unrefined organic cane sugar or add more for more sweetness
- In a saucepan or kettle, add the water, ginger and crushed cardamom with the peel.
- boil this water-ginger-cardamom mixture for a good 6-7 minutes, till the color of the water changes to a mild yellowish hue. the ginger releases its juices & flavors in the water and thus the color of the water changes.
- add sugar and simmer for a more of 1-2 minutes.
- now add the tea leaves or tea bags and simmer for 2-3 minutes till the water gets a deep hue of red.
- add milk. simmer the tea for 2-3 minutes if using regular milk or soy milk.
- if using cashew milk or almond milk, then just stir the cashew milk with tea and remove from pan as otherwise heating further would cause the cashew or almond milk to become slimy and separate.
- strain the tea through a strainer right into the cups.
- serve the hot ginger tea or chai or adrak chai with indian snacks like pakoras or samosas. you could also serve the ginger tea with biscuits or cookies.