Sweet Potato Canapes
Recipe type: Appetiser
- 2-3 sweet potatoes
- cold pressed olive oil [to spray or lightly brush sweet potatoes before baking]
- sea salt
- fresh parsley [optional for garnish]
- Black Bean Mixture
- 1 large shallot
- 1 – 15 oz. can of black beans
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar [pre-reduction]
- Prepare a baking pan with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Wash sweet potatoes thoroughly and chop off the ends. Cut ⅓” slices until you run out of potato. Lay the slices on the pan and spray lightly with olive oil. Give them a quick sprinkle of sea salt and pepper and place them in the oven. After 10 minutes, flip them and return to oven for 10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the black beans and then empty them into a medium bowl. Chop shallots, and onions and add to the bowl. Mix everything together and set aside.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, begin the balsamic reduction. It’s not a quick process – patience is key! But trust, the flavor makes it worth the effort. Measure ½ cup of balsamic vinegar into a small sauce pan. Stir continuously over low heat, watching carefully to prevent scorching. After about 20 minutes, the liquid should start to bubble and thicken. When it is done reducing, it should resemble the consistency of honey.
- Pour balsamic reduction into the bowl of beans and stir well to combine. Add ½ teaspoon of sea salt and mix a bit more.
- Arrange the sweet potato discs on a plate or platter [or however you decide to serve them] and spoon the bean mixture onto each one. Top with a sprig of parsley if you feel like going the extra mile! Enjoy!