Recipe type: Breakfast
Begin Boxing Day with this deliciously different breakfast idea.
- 10 round (15cm-diameter) flour tortillas
- 6 bacon rashers, rind and excess fat trimmed, thinly sliced crossways
- 12 eggs, lightly whisked
- 125ml (1/2 cup) thickened cream
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 20g butter
- 120g (1½ cups) coarsely grated cheddar
- 4 green shallots, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Wrap the tortillas in foil. Place in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until hot.
- Step 2
- Meanwhile, heat a medium non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until crisp. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Step 3
- Whisk together egg and cream in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Melt butter in a heavy-based saucepan over medium-low heat until foaming. Add egg mixture and use a flat-edged wooden spoon to gently push the egg mixture, scraping the spoon along the base of the pan, from 1 side to the other in 4 different directions. Repeat pushing action every 10 seconds, including around the edge of the pan, to prevent egg sticking. Cook for 5 minutes or until three-quarters of the egg mixture is cooked, but mixture is still creamy and slightly liquid. Remove from heat. Stir in the bacon.
- Step 4
- Transfer scrambled eggs to a warm serving bowl. Garnish with a little of the cheese and green shallot. Serve immediately with hot tortillas and the remaining cheese and green shallot.