Dal pakwan recipe
Recipe type: Breakfast
dal pakwan - one of the popular sindhi breakfast recipe. it is basically chana dal (bengal gram) served with pakwan (crisp fried indian bread).
- 1¼ cup chana dal or bengal gram
- 2 to 2.5 cups water
- 2 green chilies, slit
- 8-10 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 tsp cumin
- a pinch of asafoetida
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp mango powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- ½ to 1 tsp sugar or as required (optional)
- salt as required
- 1 to ⅕ tbsp oil or ghee
- rinse and soak the chana dal in water for almost 2 hours.
- drain and keep aside.
- in a pressure cooker, take the dal and 2 to 2.5 cups water. pressure cook for 2-3 whistles.
- the grains should be cooked yet separate.
- once the pressure settles down on its own, open the lid.
- add all the spice powders, sugar and salt to the cooked dal.
- stir and add water if required. i added 1 cup water at this stage. you can add the amount of water as required.
- simmer for 7-8 minutes or more on a low flame till a medium consistency of the dal is reached.
- keep the dal aside.
- in another pan, heat oil or ghee.
- crackle the cumin first and then add the green chilies and saute for a minute.
- add curry leaves and asafoetida and saute for a further minute or two on a low flame.
- pour this sauteed mixture along with the oil in the dal.
- stir and serve the steaming hot sindhi dal with pakwan accompanied with some chopped onions, coriander mint chutney and sweet tamarind chutney. enjoy the sindhi dal pakwan as a breakfast dish or snacks