Gingerbread apple pie
Recipe type: Brunch
With a sweet apple filling and a spiced gingerbread crust, this better-for-you apple pie will have you begging for seconds.
- 80g (1/2 cup) wholemeal plain flour
- 300g (2 cups) white spelt flour
- ¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 60g (1/4 cup) muscovado sugar
- 1½ tablespoons ground ginger
- ½ teaspoons ground cloves
- 100g solidified coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 royal gala apple, cored, sliced
- 2 x 170g vanilla yoghurt, to serve
- 100g light sour cream, to serve
- 1.6kg royal gala apples, cored, cut into eighths
- 2 tablespoons honey, plus extra, to drizzle
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 slices fresh ginger
- Step 1
- For filling, place all ingredients and 60ml (1/4 cup) water in a large saucepan. Cover and simmer, stirring twice, for 15-20 minutes, until apple is just tender. Remove from heat. Set aside, covered, to cool.
- Step 2
- Preheat oven to 190C/170C fan forced. Place a baking tray in the oven. Release base of a 20cm (base measurement) springform pan and invert. Spray base with oil. Line with baking paper, allowing a 4cm overhang. Secure base, paper side up, back in pan. Grease side.
- Step 3
- Process flours, bicarb, sugar, ginger, cloves and oil in a food processor until fine crumbs. Add combined egg, juice and 2 tbs water. Process for 1-2 minutes, until mixture just comes together.
- Step 4
- Knead dough on a floured surface until just smooth. Reserve a third of dough. Roll out remaining dough on floured baking paper to a 33cm disc. Use to line prepared pan, pressing into side. Trim excess.
- Step 5
- Fill pie shell with apple mixture, removing cinnamon and ginger. Roll out reserved dough on floured baking paper to a disc large enough to cover pie. Place over apple mixture. Trim excess. Crimp edges. Cut 3 slits in top. Place on hot tray and bake for 40 minutes.
- Step 6
- Top pie with sliced apple. Bake for 30 minutes. Stand for 10 minutes. Drizzle with honey. Serve with combined Quark and sour cream.