Gujarati Thepla Recipe
Recipe type: Breakfast
Theplas, another variation of parathas that have a great shelf-life and have an amazing flavor. The yogurt in it makes them soft and the fenugreek makes them healthy and very delicious. A spicy paratha that is synonymous with the State of Gujarat. Have a piece of Gujarat!
- Fenugreek Leaves – 2 tbsp (fresh or dried)
- Whole Wheat Flour/ Atta – 3 cups
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Yogurt – 1 cup
- Salt – 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
- Minced Garlic – 1 tbsp
- Cilantro/Coriander Leaves/Dhaniya – ¼ cup, packed
- Warm Water – ¼ cup + 2 tbsp
- In a big bowl, mix Whole Wheat Flour and Oil (2 tbsp) and incorporate the two well together.
- In a separate bow, mix well the following: Yogurt, Salt, Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Minced Garlic, Fenugreek Leaves, Cilantro.
- Mix the above Yogurt mixture into the Flour and knead.
- Add additional Warm Water little at a time if needed. Knead to form a ball of dough.
- Drizzle a few drops of Oil, smear, cover and allow to rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat a tawa/flat skillet on medium flame.
- Make golf size balls of the dough and start rolling just as you would for chapati. Use dry Flour to dust.
- Roll and place on a hot Tawa and cook.
- Once the dough starts to change color, flip and cook for a couple of minutes on the other side.
- Drizzle a few drops of Oil and smear and flip once again.
- Drizzle and smear Oil on this side as well.
- Press gently with a spatula and allow to cook till there are a few golden spots.
- Take off the skillet and serve hot or place in a hot casserole till ready to serve.
1. Theplas have a great shelf-life.