Khakhra ( Whole Wheat)
Recipe type: Breakfast
Khakhra, a famous Gujarati snack is made from whole wheat flour, salt, oil and water. The dough is rolled out and cooked on a tava with pressure applied till crisp. Khakhras are healthy, quick to make and go with curds, chutney, Jeera Aloo and Methia Keri Sambhaar . Basically khakhra is a crispy version of roti.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta) for rolling
- ghee for cooking
- Combine the whole wheat flour, salt and oil in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water. Cover it with a lid and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions.
- Roll a portion of the dough into a 150 mm. (6”) diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and place a roti on it and cook on both sides for a few seconds.
- Apply ghee on it and cook on a slow flame until crisp using little pressure with help of a muslin cloth or with a khakhra press.
- Repeat steps 3 to 5 to make 5 more khakhras.
- Allow them to cool completely and store in an air-tight container.