Recipe type: Breakfast
Khichadi is an all-time favorite comfort food in our family. Anytime we come home from a long trip away or after an exhausting day, khichadi and kadhi or chaas (spicy buttermilk) is a satisfying and welcome meal. Previously, we’ve shown you how to make Mung Daal Khichadi – a mild and nutritious meal for babies or great comfort food when you’re feeling under the weather. Here’s a recipe for Masala Khichadi…with a real kick! It’s a great one-pot meal and you still get your veggies and protein in one shot.
- Rice – 1 cup
- Toor Daal – ½ cup
- Water – 3 cups
- Oil – 4 tsp
- Clarified Butter (ghee) – 2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Cinnamon Stick – 1 inch piece
- Asofoetida – pinch
- Raw Peanuts – 2 Tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Black Pepper – ½ tsp
- Ground Cloves – ¼ tsp
- Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
- Garlic – 4 cloves, sliced
- Green Chilies – to taste, slit
- Ginger – 1 tsp, minced
- Potato – 1 medium, diced
- Frozen Green Peas – ½ cup
- Salt – to taste
- Red Chili Powder – to taste
- Combine Rice and Toor Daal and wash until water runs clear.
- Add 3 cups water and soak for 15-20 minutes (if time permits).
- Heat Oil and Clarified Butter in a pressure cooker.
- Add Cumin Seeds and allow them to sizzle.
- Add Cinnamon Stick and Raw Peanuts. Cook until Peanuts turn light brown.
- Add Asofoetida, Turmeric Powder, Ground Cloves and Black Pepper. Mix quickly.
- Immediately add in Onions and stir well.
- Add Garlic, Green Chilies and Ginger. Mix and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add Potatoes, Peas, Salt, Red Chili Powder and mix well.
- Add Rice and Daal with Water.
- Check the salt, chili, etc and adjust as necessary.
- Close the pressure cooker, cook until 1 whistle sounds and immediately switch off the stove.
- Wait until the pressure from the cooker is gone before opening the lid.
- Serve hot with Kadhi or Chaas.