Mixed Vegetable Paratha
Recipe type: Breakfast
Mixed vegetables like potato, peas, carrots, bell pepper, beans are cooked till soft. They are then mashed together with spices and herbs. The mixture is then stuffed into wheat dough and rolled out into thick parathas. The mixed vegetable paratha is cooked on flat pan until its golden brown on both sides.
- Wheat Flour 1½ Cups
- Potato 1
- Mixed Vegetables (Peas, Carrots, Bell Pepper, Beans..) 1 Cup
- Green Chiles 1 – 2
- Ginger Garlic Paste ½ tsp
- Garam Masala ½ tsp
- Cilantro Few Sprigs
- Salt to taste
- Oil as Required
- Remove stems, wash and finely chop the green chiles.
- Wash and finely chop the cilantro leaves.
- Wash and halve the potato.
- Wash, clean and peel the mixed vegetables if required.
- Finely chop the mixed vegetables or grate them using thick side of the grater.
- Cook the vegetables in salted water till just soft but not mushy.
- Alternatively, use a microwave to cook the vegetables just enough.
- If making a large batch, you can use pressure cooker to cook everything together.
- Boil a cup of water, add halved potato.
- Boil till potato turns soft.
- Cool to room temperature, peel and mash the potato.
- Add these mixed vegetables in a bowl with mashed potato.
- Add green chiles, ginger garlic paste, garam masala, cilantro and salt.
- Mash everything well and divide the portion into 3 – 4 portions.
- Knead wheat flour into somewhat tight dough with few pinches of salt using enough fresh water.
- Keep the dough covered with wet kitchen towel for half an hour.
- Divide the dough into 3 – 4 portions.
- Take each portion of wheat dough, press it a little to form a small disk.
- Take around 3 tbsps of the vegetable mixture and place it on the disk.
- Now bring together the edges of the dough and press it to form a ball.
- Carefully knead each dough ball into around 7 inch diameter disc with help of a rolling pin.
- Repeat the same with remaining wheat dough portions.
- Heat a flat griddle on medium heat, brush half a tsp of oil all over the griddle.
- Place the paratha on hot griddle and let it turn golden brown.
- Add quarter tsp of oil on uncooked side and turn it over to let it cook.
- When both sides are cooked properly, remove mixed vegetable paratha onto a plate.
- Repeat the same with remaining rolled out parathas.
- Serve hot mixed vegetable paratha with any raita of your choice.
Adjust the thickness of the paratha according to your preference. Suggestions: If the paratha is not cooked properly, put it back on low heat and cook till its done. If the stuffing tends to come out while rolling the dough, apply a thin patch of wheat dough to cover. Or make sure to stuff just enough stuffing so it doesn’t come out. Variations: Your choice of vegetables or leftover vegetables can be added while making the stuffing.