Pumpkin Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 4 (1″) slices challah bread
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1½ cups milk, room temperature
- 4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp. granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Create a pocket in the challah slices by slicing into the center from one side. Place challah slices on a baking sheet and put in the oven for 8 minutes. Flip the bread over and bake for another 8 minutes. This will JUST dry out the bread, there should be no browning. Take slices off baking sheet on to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, smooth out cream cheese in a small bowl with a rubber spatula. Mix in pumpkin, sugar, vanilla and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside.
- In a shallow dish, mix together eggs, butter, milk, vanilla extract, sugar. Whisk in the flour and salt. Stuff the bread with the filling.
- Soak the bread without over saturating, about 40 seconds per side; repeat with the remaining slices. Swirl 1 tbsp. butter in the hot skillet.
- Transfer the prepared bread to the skillet in a single layer; cook until golden brown, about 1 minute 45 seconds on the first side and 1 minute on the second.
- Serve the French toast immediately. Continue, adding 1 tbsp. butter to the skillet for each new batch.