Recipe type: Breakfast
Rice khichu, gujarat is known for its many snacks that are a treat to the palate even while being friendly to the stomach! here is another easy to make, easily digestible afternoon snack from the kitchens of gujarat. However, serving it in the traditional way with oodles of raw oil can turn this healthy snack into a non-healthy one. Serve it by shaping with an interesting mould and top it with the sauce. Khichu remains soft when hot, hence, true to the name, relish it steaming hot. While adding flour, be quick in stirring to avoid the formation of lumps.
- For The Khichu
- 1 cup rice flour (chawal ka atta)
- a pinch of soda bi-carb
- ½ tsp crushed cumin seeds (jeera)
- ½ tsp finely chopped green chillies
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- For The Sauce
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic (lehsun)
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- a pinch of salt
- For the khichu:
- Put 3 cups of hot water in a deep non-stick pan, add the soda bi-carb, crushed cumin seeds, green chillies, salt, rice flour and oil, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously with help of a rolling pin.
- Cover and cook on a slow flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- For the sauce:
- Heat the oil in a small pan, add the garlic and sauté on a slow flame till it releases flavour.
- Remove from the flame, add the chilli powder and salt and mix well. Keep aside.
- How to proceed:
- Put the khichu in a bowl, pour a little of the sauce over it and serve immediately.