Spinach Idli - Palakura Idli
Recipe type: Breakfast
Spinach leaves are wash and ground into paste using a blender. The spinach paste is then mixed with the idli batter and poured into idli moulds. The idli is then steamed till done. Serve spinach idli with spicy idli powder or with sambar or with coconut chutney
- Idli Batter 1 Cup
- Spinach Leaves 1½ Cups Packed
- Cilantro few Leaves
- Salt to taste
- Ghee few drops
- Wash the spinach leaves and keep aside.
- Grind spinach leaves into smooth paste after adding enough water.
- In a bowl, add the idli batter, ground spinach paste and salt (if necessary).
- Mix thoroughly and keep aside.
- Grease idli moulds with few drops of ghee.
- Pour few tablespoons of spinach idli batter in each idli mould.
- Place the idli stand in steamer.
- Steam the spinach idli for around 8 minutes.
- Leave the idli outside for a minute or two to cool down.
- Carefully remove the idli from idli mould with help of a spoon.
- Serve spinach idli with coconut chutney or with any chutney of your choice
Make sure idli is steamed well before removing from heat. Suggestions: Make sure idli batter is not too thick or not too thin. Adjust the batter with water if necessary. Variations: Also grind chopped green chiles with spinach leaves before adding to the batter for a spicy idli.