apple halwa recipe
Recipe type: Dessert
apple halwa with cinnamon and vanilla
- 6-7 apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 2 tbsp ghee or butter or oil
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp vanilla powder or 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 tbsp sugar …. add more if the apples are less sweet
- 1 tbsp blanched, peeled, halved almonds
- 1 tbsp blanched, peeled, halved pistachios
- melt the ghee or butter in a kadai or saucepan.
- add the apples and fry them for 4-5 minutes.
- when they get soft and browned, add 1 tbsp water.
- lower the heat and cook the apples uncovered for 15 minutes till they merge and thicken.
- mash the apples with your spoon and stir frequently to avoid the mixture from getting burnt.
- add the sugar.
- continue to stir and cook till the whole mixture becomes one and starts to pull away from the bottom of the pot.
- rasie the heat and keep on stirring.
- add cinnamon powder and vanilla powder or vanilla extract. mix these and continue to stir.
- when the mixture becomes translucent around the edges and its becomes difficult to remove the spoon, remove the kadai or saucepan from the fire.
- add chopped dryfruits or raisins and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- take the halwa on a plate and form into a layer of 1 inch thick square
- decorate the halwa with halved almonds and pistachois.
- when cooled, cut into squares.
- serve apple halwa warm or cold.
- apple halwa can be refrigerated and stays good for 3-4 days.