Recipe type: Dessert
Creme caramel is a stylish gluten-free dessert which everyone will love.
- 1¼ cups caster sugar
- 300ml thickened cream
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 eggs
- Step 1:
- Preheat oven to 170°C/150°C fan-forced. Combine ¾ cup sugar and 1 cup cold water in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until sugar has dissolved. Increase heat to high. Bring to the boil. Boil, without stirring, for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden. Remove from heat. Set aside for 2 minutes to allow bubbles to subside. Pour sugar mixture into six 1 cup-capacity, ovenproof dishes. Set aside to set.
- Step 2:
- Combine cream, milk and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 6 to 8 minutes or until small bubbles form at edge of pan. Remove from heat.
- Step 3:
- Whisk eggs and remaining sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Slowly add cream mixture, whisking constantly. Strain mixture into a jug. Divide between dishes.
- Step 4:
- Place dishes in a large baking dish (see tip). Pour boiling water into baking dish until halfway up the sides of smaller dishes. Bake for 30 minutes or until just set. Remove baking dish from oven. Remove dishes from water. Set aside to cool. Refrigerate overnight. Run a thin knife around edge of each dish. Turn out onto 1cm-deep plates. Serve.