makhane ki kheer or phool makhane ki kheer
Recipe type: Dessert
- 500 ml organic milk
- 1 cup makhana/foxnuts
- 2-3 green cardamom, husked and powdered in a mortar-pestle
- 10-12 almonds, blanched & sliced
- 10-12 cashews, sliced
- 3 to 3.5 tbsp sugar or as required
- a pinch of saffron
- heat milk first.
- when the milk comes to a boil, add makhana and simmer the milk with ocassional stirring on a low to medium flame.
- after 5 mins. add the sugar, cardamom and pinch of saffron.
- when the kheer is simmering, blanch the almonds.
- to do this, microwave or boil 1 cup water.
- add the almonds to the hot water and keep aside for 8-10 minutes.
- drain and peel them.
- slice the almonds and chop the cashews.
- the kheer would have thickened very little by now.
- simmer the milk for a total time of 12-15 minutes on a low to medium flame with occasional stirring.
- if you want you can simmer for some more minutes to get a slightly thick consistency. however keep on stirring often.
- lastly add almonds and cashews.
- switch off the fire and serve the makhane ki kheer hot or warm or cold.