mango halwa or mango sheera
Recipe type: Dessert
mango halwa – sweet and smooth pudding with mango flavors.
- 1 cup fine sooji or rava or semolina
- 1 medium sized or large alphonso mango or any other variety, chopped and pureed
- ½ cup sugar or as required
- 2 tbsp ghee or oil
- 1 cup milk – 250 ml
- 11/2 cup water
- dry fruits – cashews, raisins, charoli/chironji as required
- a pinch of saffron and 3-4 green cardamoms
- a few pomegranate arils for garnish
- powder the cardamom and discard the husks.
- heat ghee or oil in a thick bottomed pan.
- add the sooji or rava and fry till they change color and you get a lovely aroma.
- add dry fruits and continue to fry for a few minutes.
- heat 1.5 cups of water separately.
- add this hot water to the sooji and dry fruits mixture.
- stir well.
- add milk and sugar.
- continue to stir.
- the semolina absorbs both water and milk and will swell.
- you have to stir continuously so that the mixture does not stick at the bottom of the pan.
- after 1 or 2 minutes, add mango pulp.
- stir again well and ensure that the mango pulp is mixed well.
- add cardamom powder and saffron.
- stir till the moisture reduces.
- cover with a lid and cook for 1 or 2 mins more.
- garnish mango halwa with extra cashews or pomergranate arils.
- serve the mango halwa hot, warm or even cold.