Swiss Roll (Roulade)
Recipe type: Dessert
Valentines Day is coming up and here is your chance to present your sweetheart a show stopper dessert! Ultra soft spongecake is rolled around your choice of filling (jam, jelly, whipped cream, chocolate, etc). Try this Swiss Roll recipe for a sure fire way to someone special’s heart.
- For Simple Syrup:
- Sugar – ⅓ cup
- Water – ⅓ cup
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
- Vanilla – 2 tsp
- For Sponge Cake:
- All purpose Flour – 6 Tbsp
- Corn Starch – 6 Tbsp
- Sugar – 6 Tbsp (divided 3 + 3)
- Eggs – 5 Large, separated into yolks and whites
- Vanilla – 1 tsp
- Butter – for greasing pan
- All purpose Flour – 1 Tbsp for dusting pan
- Powdered Sugar – 1 Tbsp for dusting
- Your choice of filling – Jam, Jelly, Whipped Cream, Nutella, Chocolate, etc
- (Preheat Oven 375F / 190C)
- For Simple Syrup: In a small saucepan on medium heat, mix Sugar and Water and cook until mixture starts to boil and Sugar is completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat and mix in Lemon Juice and Vanilla. Keep aside to cool.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 10×15 inch Jelly Roll Pan. Line with Parchment Paper cut to the size of the pan. Butter the Parchment Paper.
- Lightly dust with All purpose Flour to coat all sides and remove excess flour. Keep pan aside.
- Sift together All purpose Flour and Corn Starch and keep aside.
- In a large bowl, beat Egg Yolks and 3 Tbsp Sugar until smooth, creamy and light yellow (approx 5 minutes). Add Vanilla and mix through.
- In another large bowl, beat Egg Whites until soft peaks form. Hand blender works well.
- Add 3 Tbsp Sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form. Mixture should not fall out of bowl if turned upside down.
- Add ⅓ Egg Whites into Egg Yolk mixture and gently fold in.
- Add ½ Flour/Corn Starch mixture and continue to gently fold in.
- Add ⅓ Egg Whites and continue to fold in.
- Add remaining Flour/Corn Starch mixture and continue to fold in.
- Add remaining Egg Whites and gently fold in until entire batter is evenly mixed.
- Pour batter onto prepared pan and spread gently and evenly. Do not press hard or batter will deflate.
- Bake cake for 6-8 minutes until light golden in color and firm.
- Remove cake from pan (with parchment paper) and place on a cooling rack until completely cool to the touch.
- Lightly dust a second piece of parchment paper (slightly larger than cake) with Powdered Sugar.
- Flip cooled cake onto the new parchment paper and gently peel off the old parchment paper.
- With a pastry brush, brush on cooled Simple Syrup evenly over the top and sides of the cake.
- Spread a light layer of your choice of filling.
- Starting from the side closest to you, start to roll the cake using the parchment paper. Gently peel back the parchment paper as you keep rolling (some small cracks may form at the beginning.). Swiss Roll should be placed with the seam on the bottom.
- Swiss Roll tastes best at room temperature but must be stored in the refrigerator in a air tight container or plastic wrap. Can be made a day in advance.