Recipe type: Breakfast
Bell pepper is sliced and cooked in tempered oil along with sliced onion. Peanuts are roasted with red chiles and ground into fine powder. Finally the powder is mixed with bell pepper and steamed basmati rice. Serve capsicum rice with any raita of your choice.
- Bell Pepper 1
- Onion 1 Small
- Basmati Rice 1 Cup
- Raw Peanuts ⅓ Cup
- Whole Red Chiles 3 – 4
- Tamarind 2 inch Piece
- Mustard Seeds 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves 5
- Cilantro few Sprigs
- Salt to taste
- Oil 3 tsps
- Peel and slice the onion.
- Wash, remove stem, discard seeds and slice the bell pepper into 2 inch long strips.
- Soak tamarind in few tablespoons of warm water and extract all the juice discarding the veins.
- Wash and finely chop the cilantro.
- Cook basmati rice in 1½ cups of water till all the water has been absorbed by the rice.
- Heat two tsps of oil in a pan, add raw peanuts and fry till peanuts turn golden brown.
- Remove the peanuts from heat, add broken red chiles, cumin seeds and fry till red chiles change color and crisp up.
- Remove the red chiles from heat and cool the ingredients to room temperature.
- Grind the peanuts, red chiles, cumin seeds and salt into fine powder.
- Heat tsp of oil in the pan, add mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- When mustard seeds start spluttering, add bell pepper and onion.
- When onion turns translucent and the bell pepper turns little soft, add the peanuts powder.
- Stir well and add tamarind extract and salt.
- Mix well and stir in cooked basmati rice and cilantro.
- Serve capsicum rice with any raita of your choice.
Make sure not to overcook the bell pepper. Suggestions: Adjust the red chiles according to spice preference. Variations: You can also add chopped cashews along with mustard seeds.