Gobi (Cauliflower) Manchurian (Dry)
Recipe type: Appetiser
Dry Gobi Manchurian, aka Cauliflower Manchurian is a tantalizing Indian Chinese appetizer and very different from the gravy version. The Cauliflower has a crispy coating and is tossed with a mouth-watering spicy sauce. It can be picked up with a toothpick or fork and enjoyed with cocktails or before a meal. Try this absolutely delicious recipe!
- Cauliflower – ½ medium, cut to bite-size florets
- Oil – for deep frying
- For the batter:
- All-purpose Flour – 5 Tbsp
- Corn Starch – 3 Tbsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Black Pepper – ¼ tsp
- Water – ¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp
- For the sauce:
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Onion – ½ medium, chopped finely
- Green Chilies – to taste, cut diagonally
- Garlic – 3 large cloves, chopped finely
- Ketchup – 2 Tbsp
- Red Chili Sauce – 2 Tbsp or to taste
- Soy Sauce – 4 tsp or to taste
- White Vinegar – 2 tsp
- Water – 4 Tbsp
- Corn Starch – 2 tsp
- Green Onions – 2 stalks, cut diagonally for garnishing
- Heat Oil in a medium non-stick pan.
- Add Onions, Green Chilies and Garlic and cook until Onions are light brown.
- Add Ketchup and Red Chili Sauce and cook until Oil starts to separate from mixture.
- Add Soy Sauce and Vinegar and mix well.
- Mix 2 tsp Corn Starch with 4 Tbsp Water and add it to the pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes until sauce starts to thicken.
- Keep sauce aside.
- To make batter, add All-purpose flour, Corn Starch, Salt, Black Pepper and Water to a small bowl. Mix until there are no lumps.
- Coat Cauliflower pieces well with batter and deep fry until Cauliflower is a medium dark brown color.
- Finish frying all of the Cauliflower and add it to the pan with the sauce. Toss well to coat Cauliflower completely.
- Add Green Onions and toss again.
- Serve immediately.