Khandvi – Gujarati Snack
Recipe type: Appetiser
Khandvi (Khandavi) is a popular snack item from the state of Gujarat, India. It’s unique soft texture and mild flavor makes is a favorite with kids and adults. Try this super fast microwave recipe for Khandvi and serve it as an appetizer for your next get-together.
- Besan/Chickpea (Gram) Flour – 1 cup
- Buttermilk – 2 cups (1 cup yogurt + 1 cup water)
- Turmeric Powder – ⅛ tsp
- Asafoetida – pinch
- Salt – to taste
- For Seasoning:
- Oil – 4 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – pinch
- Green Chillies – 2 (cut length wise)
- Grated Coconut – 1 Tbsp
- Cilantro (Coriander) – chopped for garnishing
- In a large microwave safe bowl, mix Besan (Gram Flour), Yogurt, Turmeric Powder, Salt and Asofoetida.
- Add Water and blend the mixture to a smooth (lump-free) paste.
- Cook uncovered in the microwave for 1½ minutes.
- Remove from microwave and stir to break up any lumps.
- Microwave again for 1½ minutes and stir again.
- Microwave for last 1½ minutes and mix well. You may have to use a hand blender to remove any lumps.
- Lay out Aluminum Foil in long sheets (approx 2 ft) on the counter top. (Tip – this step should be done while batter is cooking. Once the batter is out of the microwave, you have to work fast before it solidifies.)
- Spoon batter along one edge of the foil and with a flat spatula, gently pull the batter down along the foil (spreading it thin). Once the foil is completely covered, start on the next piece of foil. Repeat until all batter is thinly spread.
- Let the batter rest for 5 minutes and allow it to solidify.
- With a sharp knife, cut long 1 to 1½ inch strips in the solid batter.
- Gently lift the edge and roll the strip into a tight roll. You can make the rolls as big as you like. If they get too thick, cut it off and start a new roll.
- Repeat rolling and placing rolls on a platter.
- Sprinkle Coconut and Cilantro (Coriander) over the Khandvi.
- Heat Oil in a small skillet.
- Add Mustard Seeds, allow them to pop.
- Add Asofoetida, Green Chilies and switch off heat.
- Sprinkle seasoning over the Khandvi.
- Serve at room temperature.
If for any reason you don’t have or don’t want to use a microwave, you can make that thing in pressure cooker. 1 cup Besan 2cups+ 2 table spoon water and all other ingredients same as you and put in pressure cooker for 3 whistles. let it cool down for 15 to 20 min and once you open it spread it straight away.