Mexican (Spanish) Rice
Recipe type: Appetiser
A Mexican inspired dinner is not complete without a heaping side of Mexican Rice. Although sometimes referred to as “Spanish Rice”, don’t expect to find this preparation of sauteed golden brown rice simmered in broth in Spain. The term simply stems from the fact that the Spanish language is spoken in Mexico. Oh by the way…in Mexico, this delicious rice recipe is called just rice or “arroz”.
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Long Grain Rice – 2 cups
- Onion – ½ large, chopped
- Kidney Beans – 1 can, washed and drained
- Bell Pepper – 1 medium, chopped
- Garlic Powder – ½ tsp
- Oregano – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Tomato Sauce – 8oz can
- Broth – 3 cups
- Cilantro or Green Onions for garnishing
- Heat Oil in a non-stick pan on medium heat.
- Add Rice and saute until the rice turns a light golden brown.
- Add Onion and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add Kidney Beans, Bell Pepper, Garlic Powder, Oregano, Salt, Tomato Sauce and Broth. Mix well.
- Allow the mixture to come to a boil, stir gently, turn the stove down to a simmer, cover the pan and cook for 15 minutes.
- Turn off stove and fluff up rice gently with a fork.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro or green onions.