Recipe type: Appetiser
Cold and rainy days…perfect climate for pakodas or bhajjis (fritters). Try this recipe for our version of mirchi bhajjis (stuffed green chili fritters). It’s the perfect tea time snack – super delicious and guaranteed to hit the spot!
- Green Chilies of your choice (de-seeded if you like)
- For the Batter:
- Besan (Chickpea Flour) – 1 cup
- Rice Flour – 2 Tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Asafoetida – ⅛ tsp
- Red Chili Powder – optional
- Baking Soda – ¼ tsp
- Water – ½ cup + 2 Tbsp
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- For Stuffing:
- In a small bowl or dish, mix salt, chaat masala, amchur, ajwain. Stuff this mixture into the slit chilies.
- Alternate Stuffing:
- Add spices(above, plus roasted cumin powder, cilantro) to boiled and mashed potato. Add tamarind paste to give it tartness. Stuff potato mixture into slit chilies.
- Oil – for deep frying
- Begin to heat Oil for deep frying.
- Wash and slit Green Chilies lenghtwise. De-seed if necessary. Keep aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add Chickpea Flour, Rice Flour, Salt, Asafoetida, Red Chili Powder and Baking Soda. Mix well.
- Add 1 Tbsp Oil and mix.
- Add water slowly and form a smooth, lump free batter.
- Dip the stuffed chilies into the batter (one at at time), shake off excess and drop carefully into the hot oil.
- Fry until golden on all sides and remove onto a paper towel lined plate.
- Serve hot with ketchup or chutney.