Recipe type: Appetiser
No Indian meal is complete without a flavorful rice dish. Try this delicious recipe for Mushroom Pulao, made with fragrant Basmati Rice and caramelized mushrooms. Serve it with raita, plain yogurt or a side salad…Wow!
- Basmati Rice – 1 cup, washed and soaked for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Mushrooms – 8 oz, sliced thick
- Water – 2 cups
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Lemon/Lime Juice – 2 tsp
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Cinnamon Stick – 1 inch piece
- Green Cardamom – 2
- Cloves – 4
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Onion – ½ cup, chopped
- Ginger – 1 Tbsp, minced
- Garlic – 1 Tbsp, minced
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp
- Red Chili Powder – to taste
- Frozen Green Peas – ½ cup, thawed
- Red Bell Pepper – ½, chopped
- Bring Water to a boil in a sauce pan with a lid and turn off the stove.
- Add Salt and Lemon/Lime Juice and stir.
- Add sliced Mushrooms, stir, cover and allow to steep while working on the rest of the process (about 15 mins)
- Heat Oil in a non-stick pan with a cover.
- Add Bay Leaf, Cinnamon Stick, Green Cardamom and Cloves. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add Cumin Seeds and allow them to sizzle.
- Add Onions and cook for 1-2 minutes until translucent.
- Add Ginger and Garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Strain and reserve liquid from Mushrooms.
- Add strained Mushrooms to the pan and cook until Mushrooms are golden brown and caramelized.
- Drain water from the rice and add soaked rice to the pan.
- Add Garam Masala and Red Chili Powder.
- Mix well and cook for 1 minute until Rice is coated with the oil and spices.
- Add Green Peas and Bell Pepper and mix well.
- Time to add in Mushroom Water (broth) to the pan and allow it to come to a boil, uncovered.
- Cover the pan, reduce the stove to a low (simmer) and set timer for 15 minutes. Do not open the pan or stir in between.
- After 15 minutes, turn off stove and fluff the pulao with a fork to loosen all of the grains.
- Cover again and allow the pulao to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve hot with Raita, plain yogurt and/or salad.