Samosa – Indian Appetizer
Recipe type: Appetiser
If there’s one thing that comes to mind when you think of Indian appetizers, it has to be Samosa. Vegetable Samosas are triangular pastry crusts filled with a spicy potato mixture and deep fried until golden. They are usually served with Tamarind Chutney or Mint Chutney. Try this delicious samosa recipe for your next party or get-together.
- For the crust:
- All-purpose Flour – 1½ cups
- Salt – ¾ tsp
- Ajwain (Carrom Seeds) – ¼ tsp
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Lemon/Lime Juice – 1 Tbsp
- Water – ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp
- For the filling:
- Potatoes – 1½ lbs, boiled, peeled and cubed
- Whole Coriander Seeds – 1 tsp
- Fennel Seeds – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Garam Masala – ½ tsp
- Dry Mango Powder – ½ tsp
- Sugar – ½ tsp
- Cilantro (Coriander Leaves) – 10 sprigs, chopped
- Ginger/Green Chili – 1 Tbsp, minced
- Lime/Lemon Juice – to taste
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Asafoetida – ⅛ tsp
- Frozen Green Peas – ½ cup
- Soak Coriander Seeds and Fennel Seeds in a few tablespoons of warm water and keep aside.
- In a bowl, mix All-purpose flour, Salt and Ajwain.
- Add 2 Tbsp Oil and mix until all the oil is well incorporated into the flour.
- Add Lemon/Lime Juice and Water and knead into a smooth firm dough. Wrap in plastic wrap and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- To the boiled, cubed Potatoes, add Salt, Garam Masala, Dry Mango Powder, Sugar, Cilantro, Ginger/Green Chili, Lemon Juice, and the drained Coriander/Fennel Seeds. Mix well.
- Heat Oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Add Cumin Seeds, Asafoetida and Green Peas. Cook for 1-2 minutes until peas are tender.
- Add Potato mixture and cook for a few minutes until heated through. Keep aside to cool to room temperature.
- Divide Dough into small portions (slightly bigger than a golf ball).
- Roll out each portion into a thin oval shape.
- Cut the oval down the center to make two semi-ovals.
- Lift one side of the flat edge and brush plain water on it. Lift the opposite side and overlap the two edges to form a cone shape. Press the seams gently to seal.
- Stuff the Potato mixture into the cone. Brush plain water around the top edge and seal shut.
- Deep fry until golden.
- Serve hot with Tamarind Chutney, Mint Chutney or Ketchup.