strawberry cream cake recipe
Recipe type: kids
strawberry cream cake gateau – eggless version of a gateau sandwiched with macerated strawberries, whipped cream and finally frosted with whipped cream.
- for the basic vanilla cake:
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour/maida
- 1 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup melted butter or oil
- ¾ cup organic unrefined cane sugar or regular sugar – add as required * check notes
- 3 tbsp yogurt/curd (dairy or vegan) + 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla powder or half of a vanilla bean, scraped
- for the cream frosting and filling:
- 200 ml whipping cream – use cream which has at least 30% fat
- 4-5 tbsp icing sugar or as required
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 175 to 200 grams fresh strawberries
- 3 to 4 tbsp organic unrefined cane sugar or regular sugar or as required
- preparing the eggless vanilla cake:
- first sift the all purposed flour/maida with the baking powder and a pinch of salt in a mixing bowl or pan.
- just keep everything ready as you have to be quick enough to mix the batter.
- preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- grease a 6 or 7 inches pan with butter or oil. you can also line the pan with butter paper and then grease the butter paper with oil or butter.
- now take some butter and melt it in a small pan or microwave.
- you need to get about ½ cup of melted butter. just melt the butter. no need to heat it.
- when the butter is still warm or a bit hot, add the sugar to the melted butter.
- stir and mix well. keep aside.
- now in a measuring cup or in a small bowl, whisk the 3 tbsp yogurt + 1 tbsp water till smooth.
- add 1 tbsp vinegar. then add the baking soda and stir.
- pour the butter+sugar mixture, ½ cup water and the frothing yogurt+vinegar+baking soda into the sieved flour.
- add vanilla extract.
- be quick enough to fold and make a lump free batter. don’t over do the folding.
- pour the batter in the greased baking pan.
- shake and tap the sides of the pan so that air bubbles are released.
- place the pan in the preheated oven in the center rack.
- keep the heating in both the bottom and top elements of the oven on.
- bake at 180 degrees C for 30-35 minutes or more till a tooth pick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- if the vanilla cake browns too quickly on the top, then cover the top with an aluminium foil or butter paper.
- once done let the vanilla cake stand at room temperature for 7-8 minutes.
- then with the help of oven mitts, gently remove the vanilla cake on a wired tray or rack.
- once the vanilla cake cools, you can serve the eggless vanilla cake as it is or use the vanilla cake to make pastries or gateau.
- let the cake cool completely before you prepare the icing.
- preparing the icing and filling:
- rinse the strawberries well and then dry them with kitchen napkin.
- reserve about 5-6 small to medium strawberries for the decoration and keep them in the fridge.
- hull and chop the rest of the strawberries.
- take the chopped strawberries and about 3 to 4 tbsp sugar in a bowl.
- the proportion of sugar here depends on the sweetness of the strawberries.
- mix the sugar with the strawberries and keep aside for at least 30-40 mins to macerate in the fridge. you can also keep them overnight.
- in a stand mixer fitted with the wired whip blade, whip the cream and icing sugar along with vanilla extract, at high speed till you get stiff peaks in the cream.
- taste the cream and add more sugar if required.
- you can also use a hand held electric beater to whip the cream.
- the cream should have stiff peaks – meaning on turning the bowl the cream should not fall down.
- assembling the cake:
- slice the cake with a serrated knife from the center carefully into two equal halves.
- brush the syrup from the chilled macerated strawberries lightly on one half of the cake.
- spread the chopped strawberries evenly on the cake.
- spread another layer of the whipped cream evenly on the cake.
- keep the other cake slice over.
- now spread the remaining whipped cream all over the cake with a palette knife or spatula evenly.
- keep the cake in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours so that the cream icing sets.
- slice the strawberries which we had chilled for decorating the cake and keep them aside.
- remove the cake and decorate the cake with the fresh strawberry slices.
- serve the strawberry cream cake immediately.
- or you can keep it covered in the fridge and then serve later.
- its advisable to finish this strawberry cream cake in a day or two.
you can even cook the chopped strawberries with sugar instead of macerating them. the quantity of sugar can be adjusted depending on the sweetness of the strawberries.