Baked Lemon Chicken
Recipe type: Curries
A chicken recipe which is baked to perfection. Baked lemon chicken is a mouthwatering yet simple chicken recipe with lime juice.
- 1 (approx. 3½ - 4 lb.) chicken, cut into 8 pieces, patted dry
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (kalimirch) powder
- plain flour (maida) for dredging
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion , thinly sliced
- rind of half a lemon , white pith removed, cut ino thin strips
- 2 large cloves of garlic (lehsun) , crushed
- 1½ tsp fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tbsp honey
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup chicken stock, homemade or canned low-sodium
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees f.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Dredge in the flour and pat off the excess.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of the oil.
- Add the chicken skin-side down and saute until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and reserve.
- Discard the oil and wipe the pan out with a paper towel.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and heat over medium-low heat.
- Add the onion and cook until golden, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add the lemon zest, garlic, and rosemary, and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add the honey, lemon juice, and broth, increase the heat and bring to a simmer.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the onions to a 9- by 13-inch ovenproof casserole, and spread them out. arrange the chicken, skin-side up in a single layer on the onions.
- Pour the cooking liquid over the chicken.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake in the oven, basting every 15 minutes, until cooked through, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from the from the oven and serve