Chicken kapitan curry
Recipe type: Curries
This rich chicken curry is famous for its harmonious blend of aromatic spices and coconut milk.
- 35g (1/2 cup) shredded coconut
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 French shallots, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2cm-piece fresh ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 tbs ground coriander
- 1 tbs dried chilli flakes
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 tbs chilled water
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 800g chicken thigh fillets, cut into 4cm pieces
- 400ml can coconut cream
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 whole star anise
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp tamarind puree
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- Roti (see related recipe), to serve
- Step 1:
- Heat a wok over medium heat. Stir-fry the coconut for 2-3 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a bowl, reserving 1 tablespoon.
- Step 2:
- Blend the garlic, shallot, ginger, coriander, chilli flakes, cumin, nutmeg, turmeric, cardamom and water in a blender until a smooth paste forms.
- Step 3:
- Heat the oil in the wok over medium heat. Add the spice mixture and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until aromatic. Add the chicken and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until combined. Add the coconut cream, cinnamon, star anise and salt. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Add the tamarind puree, sugar and coconut and stir until combined. Transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with reserved coconut and serve with roti.