Recipe type: Curries
Chicken (called kori in the Kundapur region of Southern India) cooked with coconut and spices. The Kundapuris swear by this simple but yummy dish.
- 8 medium sized pieces (about 800 grams) of chicken
- 2 cup(s) grated coconut
- 2 onion(s) chopped
- 1 teaspoon(s) red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) hot spice mix (garam masala) powder
- 4 green chillies slit
- 2 teaspoon(s) lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon(s) finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoons clarified butter (ghee) / butter
- 4 teaspoons oil
- salt to taste
- Heat the clarified butter (ghee) / butter and oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and saute the onions on medium level for about 3 minute(s) or till they are golden brown in color. Add the slit green chillies and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the chicken pieces and salt. Cover and cook on medium level for about 20 minutes or till the chicken pieces are almost done.
- Add the coconut shavings, hot spice mix, red chilli powder and mix well. Cover and cook on low level for about 5 minute(s) or till the chicken pieces are tender and fully cooked. Mix in the lemon juice, chopped coriander leaves and keep covered with the lid for a minute or two.
If it is difficult to obtain fresh coconut, it can be replaced by desscicated coconut shavings. Just soak it in a little warm water for some time before use. Serve hot with: Ghee Rice or white rice.