Curried lamb with rice pilaf
Recipe type: Curries
Savour lamb cutlets on a bed of aromatic rice.
- 2 tbs sunflower oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup (140g) thick Greek-style yoghurt
- 2 tbs Madras curry paste (see note)
- 1 cup (200g) basmati rice
- ¼ cup chopped mint leaves, plus extra sprigs to serve
- 12 French-trimmed lamb cutlets
- ½ cup (40g) flaked almonds, lightly toasted
- Heat 1 tbs oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat and add the onion. Cook, stirring, for 5-6 minutes until softened. Remove half the onion with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add ¼ cup (70g) yoghurt and 1 tbs curry paste to the pan and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until combined. Add the rice, stirring to coat the grains, then add 11/2 cups (375ml) cold water and increase heat to medium. Bring to the boil, then cover with a lid, reduce heat to low and cook for 25 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked. Remove from heat and stand, covered, for 5 minutes, then stir through the chopped mint and season.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tbs oil in a frypan over medium-high heat and cook cutlets, in batches, for 2 minutes on each side. Brush each side with the remaining 1 tbs curry paste and cook for a further 1 minute on each side. Transfer the cutlets to a plate and rest, loosely covered with foil.
- To serve, spread the rice on a serving platter and top with lamb and reserved onions. Drizzle with the remaining ¼ cup (70g) yoghurt, garnish with almonds and extra mint sprigs, and season.