Kosambri (Shredded Carrot Salad)
Recipe type: Appetiser
This recipe for Kosambri or Shredded Carrot Salad most probably originated in the southern parts of India but has been adapted all over. The natural sweetness of carrots mixed in with the tanginess of the lemon juice makes Kosambri one of the tastiest ways to eat raw carrots. Try this recipe and enjoy the health benefits of carrots – an A+ vegetable!
- Carrots – 3 cups (loosely packed), finely shredded
- Lemon Juice – 3 Tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Asofoetida (Hing) – pinch
- Chana Daal - 1 tsp
- Urad Daal - 1 tsp
- Green Chili – 1 or to taste, slit thin
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Cilantro – 5 sprigs, finely chopped
- Fresh Shredded Coconut – 1 tsp, for garnishing (optional)
- Wash, peel and finely shred carrots. Store bought Matchstick Carrots DO NOT work for this recipe.
- In a medium bowl, add Carrots, Lemon Juice, Salt and Cilantro. Mix well.
- Heat Oil in a small pan.
- Add Mustard Seeds and allow them to pop.
- Add Asofoetida, Chana Daal and Urad Daal..
- Once the daals turn golden brown, add Green Chilies and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add Curry Leaves and remove from heat.
- Add the above seasoning to the Carrots and mix well.
- Garnish with Fresh Shredded Coconut and serve chilled.
- Serves 4