Spinach Salad with Mandarin Oranges
Recipe type: Appetiser
This Spinach Salad dressing is perfect for barbecues, picnics or potlucks. The surprise element is the crunchy, caramelized almonds that balance out the taste and texture of the spinach. The mandarin Oranges in this spinach salad not only provide color but also that fresh summer appeal…so what are you waiting for, dig in!
- Olive Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Red Wine Vinegar – 1 Tbsp
- Apple Sauce – 3 Tbsp
- Onion – 1 Tbsp, minced
- Garlic Powder – ½ tsp
- Dry Mustard Powder – ¼ tsp
- Italian Seasoning – 1 tsp
- Red Chili Flakes – ¼ tsp
- Celery Seeds – ¼ tsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp or to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Black Pepper – ¼ tsp
- Orange Zest – ¼ tsp
- Mix all of the above ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add Mandarin Oranges and Caramelized Almonds to the Spinach or Greens.
- Add in the Dressing right before serving.
- Ingredients for Caramelizing Almonds:
- Sliced Almonds: 1 heaping tbsp
- Sugar: 1 tbsp
- Put the Sugar in a heavy bottomed pan and heat on medium heat.
- Once the Sugar starts melting, add in the Almonds.
- Keep mixing till the sugar is all melted and the Almonds change color to light golden.
- Take it off the heat and transfer the Almonds into a plate.
- Separate the Almonds to ensure that they don’t form a clump.
- Allow them to cool down before using them or storing them.