Bottle Gourd Halwa
Recipe type: Snacks
Bottle gourds are one of the favorite vegetables of Indians and have numerous health benefits. Bottle gourd is rich in vitamins and especially in minerals which the body requires during the hotter months of the year. Cooked lauki is cooling, calming and acts as diuretic. It makes you relax after eating.
- Bottle gourd/ Lauki 1 (small n tender)
- Sugar ½ – 1 cup
- Almonds 10-15
- Green Cardamom 1
- Milk 1 cup
- Ghee 1 tbsp
- Bruise the cardamom and crush the seeds inside.
- Wash, remove ends, peel and grate bottlegourd on thicker side and keep aside.
- Chop the almonds coarsely.
- Heat a tsp of ghee in small pan, add chopped almonds and saute until they turn golden brown.
- Heat ghee in a non-stick pan on medium high, add grated bottle gourd and stir for about 5-10 minutes or until bottle gourd turns light brown.
- Now add milk, crushed cardamom seeds and simmer for 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- When most of the milk is evaporated, add sugar, almonds and give it a quick stir.
- Let it stay on medium heat for about 5 minutes or until the sugar starts to caramalize.
- Serve hot or chilled.
Store tight and refrigerate for few days.