Chakli (Chakri Murukku)
Recipe type: Snacks
Festival times are not complete without savory snacks to go along with the sweet ones. Chakli (aka Chakri or Murukku) is a crispy spiral snack made from rice flour. It is perfect with tea or coffee or just on its own. Try this super easy Chakli recipe for Diwali or any other time of year.
- Sour Cream – ¾ cup
- Green Chili Paste – 1 tsp or to taste
- Ginger – 1 tsp, minced
- Sesame Seeds – ½ Tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Cumin Seeds – ¼ tsp, roughly powdered
- Rice Flour – ¾ cup plus 2 Tbsp
- All Purpose Flour (Maida) – ½ Tbsp
- Oil – for deep frying
- In a medium mixing bowl, add all ingredients EXCEPT Rice Flour and All Purpose Flour. Mix well and adjust salt.
- Add Rice Flour and All Purpose Flour and mix to form a soft dough using your hands.
- Heat Oil in a pan for deep frying.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled Sev Maker or Press using the single star disc.
- Form Chaklis in a circular pattern on a piece of foil or wax paper. They can be approx 2 inches in diameter.
- Once Oil is hot, carefully lift each chakli off of the foil and drop it in the oil. Chakli can be placed on a spatula and slid into the oil for safety.
- Fry (on medium heat) as many chaklis as will fit into the pan without overlapping each other.
- Once the chaklis turn light golden, flip them over and fry other side until light golden.
- Remove chaklis from oil onto a paper towel lined plate. Cool completely before eating. Store in an airtight container or ziploc bag at room temperature.
- Makes approx 17-18 chaklis.