Healthy Cereal Chivda – A Perfect Munchie!
Recipe type: Snacks
Being healthy and staying healthy should never be a hard thing to do. Eat right and exercise – simple! This recipe for Cereal Chivda will take care of your munching needs without all the unnecessary calories and fat from fried snacks.
- Corn Flakes – 1 cup
- Plain Cheerios – 1 cup
- Rice Puffs – 1 cup
- Wheat Chex – 1 cup
- Honey Nut Cheerios – ½ cup
- Canola Oil – 1 tbsp
- Asafoetida – ⅛ tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Carom Seeds (Ajwain) – ¼ tsp
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Raw Peanuts – ⅓ cup
- Red Chili Powder – ½ tsp or to taste
- Citric Acid – ⅛ tsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Combine all Cereals in a bowl and mix well.
- Combine Salt and Citric Acid and grind to a fine powder in a mortar and pestle.
- In a large pan, heat Oil on medium heat.
- Once Oil is hot, add Mustard Seeds and allow them to pop.
- Add Asafoetida and Carom Seeds and cook for 15 seconds.
- Add Curry Leaves and cook for 30 seconds allowing the leaves to become crisp.
- Add Peanuts and sauté them until they are lightly golden.
- Once Peanuts are done, pull them aside in the pan and add the Salt & Critic Acid mixture and Red Chili Powder (optional) into the Oil.
- Quickly mix the spices and turn off the stove.
- Working fast, add Cereal and toss until everything is mixed well (3-4 minutes).
- Transfer the Chivda to another bowl and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Store at room temperature in an air-tight container or a zipper bag.