Mini Stuffed Sweet Peppers
Recipe type: Snacks
- 5 ounces spinach
- 2 slices sandwich bread, finely chopped
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- ½ tablespoon onion powder
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage, cooked and finely chopped
- Ground Pepper
- 14 mini sweet peppers, halved lengthwise & cored
- Cooking Spray, like pam
- 1 (14 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- In a large skillet, cook the spinach over high heat just until wilted, about 1 minute. Drain and press out all of the water. Coarsely chop the spinach. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, knead the chopped bread with the milk, egg and cheese to form a paste.
- Knead the onion powder, sausage and spinach. Then season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Using lightly moistened hands, divide the mixture among the pepper halves and lightly pack it in.
- In a skillet, spray generously with cooking spray. Add the stuffed peppers, filling side down and cook over high heat until well browned, about 5 minutes.
- Turn the peppers over and cook until the skins are browned and blistered, about 4 minutes longer
- Add the tomato sauce and chicken broth, cover and simmer until the sausage filling is completely warmed through and the peppers are tender, another 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer to plates and serve with some rice!