Mixed Vegetable Handvo ( Non- Fried Snacks )
Recipe type: Snacks
Mixed vegetable handvo, i made this instantly using fermented khatta dhokla batter; in fact any leftover batter can be used to make this handvo! i have added lots of vegetables as it tastes amazing this way. It is an ideal low-calorie, wholesome meal. Some like it with chutney and some along with tea. Try it once and i am sure it will become one of your favourite snacks.
- 1 recipe khatta dhokla batter
- ¼ cup grated bottle gourd (doodhi / lauki)
- ¼ cup finely chopped spinach (palak)
- 2 tbsp grated onions (optional)
- 2 tbsp grated carrot
- 2 tbsp green peas
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp sugar
- a pinch of soda bi-carb
- 1 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp grated garlic (lehsun)
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds (til)
- ½ tsp asafoetida (hing)
- Combine the khatta dhokla batter, bottle gourd, spinach, onions, carrots, green peas, coriander, salt, sugar, soda bi-carb, ginger-green chilli paste, turmeric powder, chilli powder, garlic and 2 tbsp of water and mix well.
- Divide the batter into 4 equal portions and keep aside.
- Heat ½ tsp of oil in a non-stick kadhai or pan and add ¼ tsp of mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add ¼ tsp of sesame seeds and ¼ tsp of asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds, while stirring continuously.
- Pour one portion of the batter and spread it evenly to make a thin layer, cover and cook on a slow flame for 4 to 5 minutes or till the base turns golden brown in colour and crisp.
- Lift the handvo gently using a large flat spoon and turn it over to the other side.
- Cover and cook on a slow flame for another 5 to 7 minutes or till it turns golden brown in colour.
- Repeat the remaining batter to make 1 more handvo. Serve immediately.