Pav Bhaji Dhokla
Recipe type: Snacks
Dhoklas are favourite farsaan…usually the dhoklas are tempered or served with chutney. Here i have experimented with the style of serving by sandwhiching pav bhaji between khaman dhokla. Make sure you make the bhaji a little dry so that it can be sandwiched properly. You can use your imagination and try a variety of dhoklas using different stuffing like cheese slices, schezuan sauce, grated paneer etc. Once you taste this dhokla , i am sure you will be tempted to try more.
- 1 cup besan (bengal gram flour)
- 1½ tbsp semolina (rava)
- 3½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp ginger- green chilli paste
- ½ tsp citric acid (nimbu ka phool)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt to taste
- 1½ tsp fruit salt
- ¼ tsp oil for greasing
- To Be Ground Into A Chilli-garlic Paste
- 3 to 4 kashmiri chillies , deseeded and soaked in warm water
- 3 to 4 clove garlic (lehsun) , roughly chopped
- For The Bhaji:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- ¼ chopped capsicum
- ¾ cup tomatoes puree
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1½ tbsp pav bhaji masala
- salt to taste
- 1 cup boiled and mashed potatoes
- ¼ cup boiled green peas
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- Other Ingredients:
- 4 to 5 tbsp grated processed cheese
- Combine all the ingredients together, except the fruit salt in a bowl and mix well adding water as required (approximately ¾ cup) to make a thick batter.
- Just before steaming, add the fruit salt and add 2 tsp of water over it.
- When the bubbles form, mix gently.
- Pour the batter immediately into a greased 125 mm. (5") diameter thali and shake the thali clockwise to spread the batter in an even layer.
- Steam for 12 to 15 minutes or till the dhoklas are cooked. Keep aside.
- For the bhaji:
- Heat the butter in a kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the chilli garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame, while stirring continuously.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame till for 4 to 5 minutes or till the raw smell disappears.
- Add the tomato puree and ¼ cup of water, mix well and simmer till the oil separates.
- Add the chilli powder, pav bhaji masala and salt and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and green peas and mash thoroughly using a potato masher, adding ¼ cup of water if required and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Keep aside.
- How to proceed:
- Cut a dhokla piece horizontally into half.
- Spread a tbsp of the bhaji evenly on piece of dhokla.
- Place the other piece of dhokla over the bhaji and press gently.
- Repeat with the remaining dhoklas and bhaji to make more pav bhaji dhoklas. Serve immediately garnished with cheese.
Always use your hands while mixing the batter to break lumps of the besan, sugar and citric acid crystals.