Recipe type: sweets
Aaamras or Mango Juice - Traditional Gujarati Dish eaten with Pooris,
- as many number of mangoes you want. I used 2 mangoes
- sugar or jaggery
- cardamom powder (optional)
- saffron strands/kesar (optional)
- milk (optional)
- Wash the alphonso mangoes. Then peel and chop them.
- In a blender, add the chopped mango pieces and blend.
- I did not use milk, cardamom powder or saffron strands as I wanted the aamras only to have the mango taste, aroma and flavor. If you are using milk, then use little milk as you do not want a mango milk shake.
- If you are using milk, then blend the mangoes, sugar, milk, cardamom powder together. Mix the saffron in the mango pulp.
- In small bowls, pour the mango pulp.
- Chill in the refrigerator.
- Serve Aamras with hot pooris.
- You could also serve the aamras as a dessert topped with cream.
- You could even add your choice of dry fruits to the aamras. If adding cashew-nuts, fry the cashew-nuts till golden brown and then mix it with the aamras.
- To make it more sinful….. you could top it up with grated chocolate and cream.
- You can also serve Aamras with vanilla ice cream. It is just heavenly to have aamras with vanilla ice cream.