Recipe type: Tips
The green paste gives this otherwise simple dish a complete makeover! It increases the vitamin A content, while the vegetables add fibre. Vitamin A increases immunity and also nourishes our skin and improves vision. Despite the interesting flavour and health benefits, this dish is surprisingly easy to make!
- ¾ cup toovar (arhar) dal
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- salt to taste
- ¼ tsp asafoetida (hing)
- ½ tsp roasted cumin seeds (jeera) powder
- 1½ cups boiled mixed vegetables (carrot, cauliflower, potatoes, onions etc.)
- ½ cup Green Paste
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup finely chopped coriander (dhania) for the garnish
- Clean, wash and soak the toovar dal in water for 2 to 3 hours. Drain and keep aside.
- Combine the dal, turmeric powder, salt and 1½ cups of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid and whisk the dal.
- Add the asafoetida, cumin seeds powder, mixed vegetables, green paste and sugar and mix well. Simmer for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Just before serving, add the lemon juice and serve hot garnished with coriander.