Cabbage Kootu ( Know Your Green Leafy Vegetables)
Recipe type: Curries
A versatile, traditional south indian recipe, which goes just as well with rice as with puris or chapatis.
- To Be Ground To A Paste
- 1½ tsp coriander (dhania) seeds
- 1½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tsp whole peppercorns (kalimirch)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coconut
- Other Ingredients
- 1½ cups chopped white cabbage
- ½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- salt to taste
- 1 cup boiled yellow moong dal (split yellow gram)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tsp chana dal (split bengal gram)
- 2 whole dry kashmiri red chillies , broken into pieces
- 8-10 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 tsp chopped green chillies
- a pinch asafoetida (hing)
- Combine the cabbage with ½ cup of water, turmeric powder and salt in a deep pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes or till the cabbage turns soft.
- Add the moong dal, mash lightly using the back of a spoon and simmer for a minute. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a small pan and add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When they crackle, add the chana dal and red chillies and stir till the chana dal turns pale golden brown.
- Add the curry leaves, green chillies, asafoetida and the ground paste and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the dal cabbage mixture, mix well and simmer for 10 minutes on a low flame.
- Serve hot.
You can also make this recipe in a ‘quick fix’ manner, where you can skip the paste and instead add a few spoons of sambhar powder to the veggies and dal when they are being cooked and a few spoons of grated coconut to the seasoning.