cabbage thoran recipe
Recipe type: Curries
cabbage thoran or cabbage stir fry is a dry vegetable dish made in kerala cuisine.
- 1 medium sized cabbage
- 1 medium sized onion 4-5 shallots, finely chopped
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- a pinch of asafoetida (optional)
- 1 green chili, chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ cup grated coconut, fresh or frozen
- 1 or 2 tbsp coconut oil
- salt as required
- rinse the cabbage and shred or grate it.
- you can also slice the cabbage thinly.
- heat the coconut oil in a pan or kadai.
- first add the mustard seed and fry till they crackle.
- now add the cumin and fry them till they change color.
- add the chopped shallots or onion.
- saute till translucent.
- add the green chilli and saute for a minute.
- now add the turmeric powder and asafoetida.
- stir and fry for 4-5 seconds.
- lastly add the cabbage and salt.
- stir and saute for a minute.
- cover the pan and on a low flame let the cabbage cook.
- just continue to stir at times.
- when the cabbage is cooked, add the coconut.
- stir and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- if there is any moisture in the pan, then cook further till the all the moisture dries up.
- serve the cabbage thoran hot with some steamed rice or chapati,
- you can garnish cabbage thoran with coriander leaves if you want.