Capsicum Karwar Style
Recipe type: Curries
A Karnataka special vegetable treat recipe, THE Capsicum karwar style is truly authentic in its taste and flavours. The capsicum are stir fried with roasted peanuts, red chillies and seasoned with curry leaves and hing or asafoetida. Enjoy with jowar rotis or rice.
- 4 capsicums cut in long strips
- ¼ cup peanuts roasted and skinned
- 1 stalk of curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 3 to 4 pinches of asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tbsp. jaggery grated
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- 2 whole red chillies
- Grind to a paste:
- ½ coconut grated and roasted
- 2 tsp. split bengal gram
- 1 tbsp. split black gram
- 2 tsp sesame seeds (til)
- ½ tsp. coriander seeds
- 2 strips tamarind cut in bits
- grind the paste using ½ cup water.
- heat oil, add mustard seeds, whole chillies, allow to splutter.
- add asafoetida and curry leaves. stir.
- add capsicums, stir fry for 3-4 minutes.
- add ground paste, jaggery, salt, turmeric powder and peanuts.
- stir and add ¼ cup water. boil and simmer for 7-8 minutes.
- gravy must be thick.
- serve hot with roti or rice.