Recipe type: Curries
Cauliflower is broken into small florets. Cauliflower is fried in oil flavored with whole spices. It is then cooked along with cooked toor dal along with tomato. Serve cauliflower dal with steamed rice and dollop of ghee.
- Toor Dal 1 Cup
- Cauliflower 2 Cups Packed
- Tomato 1 Large
- Green Chiles 2
- Turmeric Powder ¼ tsp
- Red Chile Powder ½ tsp
- Cilantro few Sprigs
- Salt to taste
- Mustard Seeds ¼ tsp
- Cumin Seeds ¼ tsp
- Urad Dal ¼ tsp
- Curry Leaves 5
- Oil 2 Tsps
- Wash and break cauliflower into small florets.
- Slice the cauliflower florets vertically.
- Wash and finely chop the tomato.
- Wash, remove stems and slice the green chiles.
- Wash toor dal under water and pressure cook the dal in 2 cups of water for 3 whistles.
- Remove the cooked dal in a sauce pot.
- Heat oil in a pan, add all talimpu ingredients in order.
- When mustard seeds start spluttering, add cauliflower florets and fry till they turn golden brown around the edges.
- Then add turmeric powder, red chile powder and salt.
- Add the cauliflower mixture, chopped tomato, green chiles into sauce pot along with dal.
- Boil the dal for 5 – 10 minutes or until tomato turns soft.
- Stir in cilantro and serve cauliflower dal with steamed rice and dollop of ghee.
Make sure cauliflower is cooked well before removing from heat. Suggestions: If the cauliflower is not cooked properly, put it back on heat and cook covered on low flame till done. If cauliflower is not tender, you can also steam it or boil it in quarter cup of water before adding to the tempering.