Drumstick masala recipe
Recipe type: Curries
drumstick masala – a quick easy curry made with drumsticks.
- grind to a smooth paste:
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
- ½ inch ginger, chopped
- 2-3 garlic, chopped
- other ingredients:
- 4 to 5 medium drumsticks
- 1 tsp cumin seeds/sabut jeera
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp punjabi garam masala or regular garam masala
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- 1 to 1.5 cups water
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt as required
- few coriander leaves for garnish
- rinse, peel and chop the drumsticks into 3 to 4 inches pieces long.
- make a smooth paste without adding any water from the onions, tomatoes, ginger and garlic.
- heat oil in a pan. crackle the cumin first. then add the ground paste.
- be careful when adding the paste. it might splurge.
- stir well and then add the turmeric, red chili powder and asafoetida.
- saute stirring often till you see oil leaving the sides of the masala.
- add the drumsticks and stir so that the masala coats them well.
- pour water and season with salt. cover the pan and let the drumsticks cook till they become tender and well cooked. they should not break and become mushy.
- lastly sprinkle garam masala and stir. garnish the drumstick masala with coriander leaves.
- serve drumstick masala with steamed rice or any khichdi.
you can adjust the spices as required.