Gavar Pumpkin Vegetable
Recipe type: Curries
Cluster beans are good for diabetics as they have the highest fibre content among all vegetables which in turn prevents a rapid rise in blood sugar levels after a meal. Red pumpkin has been added to thicken the gravy and it also imparts a natural sweetness to this dish, which is delectable. You could have never tried this combination of vegetable, but do not hesitate to do so now as this will definitely please your palate.
- 2 cups cluster beans (gavarfali), cut into 1" pieces
- 2 cups chopped red pumpkin (bhopla / kaddu)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- ½ tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
- ¼ tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1½ tsp crushed garlic (lehsun)
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- 1 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds. When they crackle, add the ajwain and asafoetida.
- Add the cluster beans, pumpkin, chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Add the garlic, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or till the cluster beans are cooked.
- Mash the pumpkin to make a gravy and serve hot garnished with the chopped coriander.
You can also make this vegetable in a pressure cooker as gavarfali takes a while to cook.