Jackfruit Subzi (Kathal Recipe)
Recipe type: Curries
Have you ever seen this really gigantic green pokey vegetable called Jackfruit (aka Kathal) and wondered how on earth you can cook it? Well, wonder no more. Try this simple and delicious recipe for Jackfruit Sabzi and get acquainted with the wonderful flavor and texture of a truly versatile fruit/vegetable – Jackfruit.
- Young Jackfruit – 2 cans
- Oil – for deep frying
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Onions – 1 medium, finely chopped
- Salt – to taste
- Garlic – 1 Tbsp, minced
- Ginger – 1 Tbsp, minced
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Tomatoes – 2 medium, chopped
- Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
- Cumin Powder – ½ tsp
- Red Chili Powder – ½ tsp or to taste
- Garam Masala – 2 tsp
- Water – ½ cup (divided)
- Yogurt – ½ cup
- Cilantro (Coriander Leaves) – for garnishing
- Heat Oil for deep frying.
- Drain liquid from Jackfruit and cut into bite sized pieces. Blot dry with a paper towel.
- Fry Jackfruit until golden brown (try not to overcrowd pan).
- Remove onto a paper towel lined plate and keep aside.
- In a medium sized pan, heat Oil.
- Add Onions and a little salt and cook until light brown.
- Add Garlic, Ginger, Turmeric Powder and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add Tomatoes and cook until the oil separates.
- Reduce stove to low and add Coriander Powder, Cumin Powder, Red Chili Powder, Garam Masala. Mix well.
- Add ¼ cup water, mix well and add fried Jackfruit. Mix to coat Jackfruit well.
- Add Yogurt and mix quickly and thoroughly.
- Add ¼ cup water, mix, cover and cook for 3-5 minutes (stir in between).
- Garnish with Cilantro (Coriander Leaves).