Jhat-Pat Baingan Subzi (Fried Aubergines)
Recipe type: Curries
Even those who don't like baingans will love this dish.
- 250 gms baingan (aubergine), sliced crosswise
- ½ tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds (til)
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tsp besan (Bengal gram flour)
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cashewnuts (kaju)
- 5 to 6 raisins (kismis)
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- oil for deep-frying
- Put the baingan slices in a colander, sprinkle with salt and leave aside for 15 minutes. Rinse thoroughly and pat dry.
- Deep fry the brinjal in hot oil till golden in colour, drain on absorbent paper and keep aside
- Heat the oil and fry the mustard seeds until they crackle. Add the sesame seeds, chilli powder, turmeric powder, gram flour, sugar, cashewnuts and raisins and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the baingan and salt and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve at once.