Lobia Curry Recipe
Recipe type: Curries
spicy kerala styled black eyed peas curry
- For the gravy
- ¾ cup black eyed beans
- 1 onion chopped or sliced
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 10-12 fresh coconut slices ( i used dry coconut slices…… that to 2 slices as I do not like the coconut slices popping in the mouth. Just to give a little flavor, i added 2 slices. )
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1 inch ginger finely chopped
- 5-6 garlic flakes finely chopped
- 1 green chili chopped
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- spices for the recipe:
- 1 dried red chilli
- half inch piece of cinnamon
- 4 peppercorns
- 1 small cardamom
- 2 cloves
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- asafoetida (optional)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- salt as per taste
- Presoak the beans for 4-5 hours or overnight and then boil with 3 cups of water with 1 tsp of salt till
- soft and well cooked.
- Reserve the water of the cooked beans as we will be including it in our curry.
- In a kadhai, heat the coconut oil. When the oil becomes hot and you get the beautiful aroma of coconut coming from the oil, then add the mustard seeds.
- When they pop, add the cinnamon, cardamom, peppercorns, cloves.
- Fry for a few seconds. Now add the cumin seeds.
- Fry for a few seconds again. May be 5-6 seconds. Also add the coconut slices. Fry for 1 minute. Add the red chilli.
- All the frying of the spices should be done on a low flame.
- Alternatively, instead of adding the coconut slices, you could also fry them separately in oil till they become brown and crisp and garnish the dish with these fried coconut slices.
- Now add the onions. Fry till the onions become transparent. Add the ginger, garlic, green chili and curry leaves. Fry for a couple of minutes.
- Now add the tomatoes. Fry the tomatoes till they become pulpy. Add the asafoetida and coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder.
- When frying the tomatoes, you could add a 1 or 2 tbsp of the beans broth if the frying mixture dries up.
- Once the tomatoes mixture is smooth and the mixture starts to release oil, then add 1 and half cup broth or water. I added more broth for a watery gravy and also this would make the recipe less spicy.
- Add the beans and season with salt.
- Make sure you add the required amount of salt. We have added the beans broth also to the curry and the broth also had salt in it.
- Simmer for 5 mins or till you want the desired amount of gravy.
- Serve lobia curry with boiled rice and pappadums.