Makai Paatal Bhaji
Recipe type: Curries
Corn makes an interesting companion for colocasia, providing you with nutrients like calcium, iron and fibre.
- 2 small sized corncobs, cut into 25 mm. (1") pieces and boiled
- 4 cups chopped colocassia (arbi)
- ½ cup soaked chana dal (split Bengal gram)
- ½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- ½ tsp asafoetida (hing)
- ½ tsp grated ginger (adrak)
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tsp coriander-cumin seeds (dhania-jeera) powder
- 2 tsp thick tamarind (imli) pulp
- 1 tbsp grated jaggery (gur)
- 1 tbsp oil
- Heat the oil in non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, asafoetida, ginger and green chillies and fry for a while.
- Add the colocasia leaves, chana dal, turmeric powder, coriander-cumin seed powder and 1½ cups of water and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Whisk well till it is smooth.
- Add the corncobs, tamarind pulp and jaggery and bring to a boil.
- Serve hot.