Methi Mutter Malai
Recipe type: Curries
A tasty combination of fenugreek leaves and green peas.
- 2¼ cups chopped fenugreek (methi) leaves
- ½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes
- ¾ cup boiled green peas
- ¾ cup milk
- a pinch of sugar
- 3 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- To be ground into a paste
- 1 onion
- 4 green chillies
- 25 mm. (1") piece of ginger (adrak)
- 3 cloves of garlic (lehsun)
- 2 tbsp cashewnuts (kaju)
- 2 tsp poppy seeds (khus-khus)
- For the dry masala
- For the dry masala (to be roasted lightly and powdered)
- 2 small sticks cinnamon (dalchini)
- 4 cloves (laung / lavang)
- 2 cardamoms (elaichi)
- 4 black peppercorns (kalimirch)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- Wash the fenugreek leaves. Add ½ teaspoon of salt. Wait for 15 minutes and then squeeze out the water.
- Put the tomato in hot water for 10 minutes. Remove and blend into a puree.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil, add the cumin seeds and fry until they crackle. Add the fenugreek and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the fenugreek.
- Add the balance 1 tablespoon of oil and heat again. Add the onion and fry until golden.
- Add the paste and fry for 1 minute. Add the tomato puree and dry masala and fry again. Add the peas, fenugreek, milk, sugar, salt and a little water and cook for a few minutes.
- Serve hot.